I rarely make full outfits for my boys. I’ve made individual pieces, like birthday shirts, shoes, hats… I don’t very often have the time, for one thing, to make a whole look, though. This week was the exception.
I really wanted to make some cute pants for my guys. I drafted up a pattern, knowing a general shape I wanted, and sewed Luke’s first. They turned out pretty cute. They’ve got some deep pockets, lined in a gray and white hounds tooth. I love this detail, but next time I’ll push it even further. It’s hard to see in the pictures. They also have a cute tuck running down the front. The fabric that I used is a cotton- soft and comfy. Anyway, cute!
But then, I needed a top to go with them. I wanted something funky and casual, with some accents of the hounds tooth fabric. I came up with this hooded vest, using some old shirts I was going to take to DI. I love giving old things a new life, but it definitely posed some problems. For instance, the top was a size 5T tank (I was going for size 12 month), so it wasn’t quite big enough to cut brand new pieces. So, I had to just take it in a bit at the shoulders, down the sides, and hemline. But, the arm holes were not quite the shape I was hoping for. Ah well. I still think it turned out pretty cool.
I plan to make a couple of little modifications to the pants for Jude… he needs a longer rise than Luke, and he needs a bigger size. I also think I’ll make the pocket opening bigger so you’ll be able to see the contrast fabric a bit better.
Jude’s top will have to be made using different fabric, anyway, so I might play around with painting my own pattern. That could be fun!